Position Summary: This full-time leader will direct all aspects of the children’s ministry (birth through 5th grade), including cultivation of and training for staff and volunteers serving in this ministry at Saint Matthew. He/she will initiate, expand, refine, and implement programs that provide opportunities for Saint Matthew’s children and their friends to grow in their faith journey with Christ. Initially, this will include the following programs:
1. SPARK Sunday (preschool through 5th grade: Sunday mornings 9:00-10:40am)
2. SPARK Wednesday (3rd through 5th grade: Wednesday evenings 5:00-7:00pm)
3. Vacation Bible School day camp (preschool through incoming 6th grade) for one week in the summer (9:00am- 12:00pm)
4. Discipleship and missional opportunities for children and families
5. Organize a minimum of one event per quarter to bring together parents and children from the community (including Trunk or Treat)
6. Organize additional family programs such as summer night programs, parents’ night out, retreats, and family game nights
7. Nursery / childcare for churchwide service and events
Qualifications: The person who fills this position must be committed to maintaining their own personal spiritual growth and, as a representative of Saint Matthew, must maintain a demeanor consistent with its vision and mission. A successful Children’s Ministry Team Leader will have:
1. A personal faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior
2. A commitment to spiritual growth as demonstrated through Bible study, prayer, fellowship, and service
3. A confident classroom presence that will allow for mutual respect and a structured learning environment
4. A fresh and creative vision for ministry to children and families in a changing world
5. A passion for the faith development of children
6. Strong organizational skills and communication skills
7. Demonstrated skills in using technology and social media to engage children and families, to communicate information about the ministry, and to invite the surrounding community to participate in it
Education and Experience: A wide range of levels of education and experience will be considered, but preference will be given to:
1. Formal training in Children’s Ministry, Early Childhood Education, or a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education
2. Equivalent experience or education in related fields that will transfer into the leadership of children’s ministry
Supervisory Relationships: The Children’s Ministry Team Leader will be under the direct supervision of one of the members of the pastoral team. This position also requires a highly collaborative relationship with the Teen Ministry Team Leader and the Care Ministries Team Leader. The Children’s Ministry Team Leader will supervise and direct all of the staff and volunteers associated with the Children’s Ministry and Nursery.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Recruit, train and encourage volunteer leaders, empowering them to take an active role in the Children’s Ministry
2. In consultation with the supervising pastor, review, select, and evaluate curriculum used in the children’s ministry programs, ensuring that the curriculum is consistent with the theological perspective of the congregation
3. Schedule and implement year-round children’s ministry programs
4. Coordinate children’s ministry with the Teen Ministry Team Leader so that Saint Matthew has a consistent approach to developing and nurturing the faith of our children and youth.
5. Coordinate the use of church facilities with the Operations Team Leader
6. Coordinate and administer, along with pastoral staff, significant age-appropriate events for the children of Saint Matthew and their friends (First Communion, Bible dedication, etc.)
7. Access outside resources for children’s ministry, parent education, and family events, including networking with other churches
8. Plan and implement discipleship and missional opportunities for children (3rd-5th grade) and coordinate with teen ministry
9. Recruit, train, and supervise summer intern(s) for the children’s ministry and/or missional opportunities, as budget allows
10. Grow the children’s ministry through outreach to existing Saint Matthew families as well as the community
11. Evaluate current programs and make recommendations for implementing new approaches to the ministry.
12. Set, track and achieve goals and objectives of the ministry and provide monthly report to the Lead Pastor and Church Council
Continuing Education: Continue education through regular attendance at conferences and workshops on children’s ministry, at least annually.
Salary and Benefits: Total compensation includes sick and personal days, vacation, and paid holiday time, as well as health or retirement benefits, in accordance with the Personnel Policies of Saint Matthew as stated in the Employee Handbook and relevant benefit plan documents. Starting salary will be commensurate with experience and education.