Asbury United Methodist Church [Portland, IN] seeks someone who is highly motivated, a team player, creative, energetic, and authentic who loves small town life, diverse socioeconomic populations, and working with families at all stages of development as they seek to engage with God.
- Oversee children’s and youth ministries in the congregation, including but not limited to Sunday School, Children’s Moments, Wired, and Nursery Care
- Oversee special events, which may include Back-to-School Kick-off, Blessing of the Backpacks, HallowedWorship, Christmas Activities, Holiday Parties, Holy Week Activities, Easter Egg Hunt, Summer Programming, and Vacation Bible Party
- Assist with sacramental engagement and education such as Baptisms and Confirmation
- Work closely with the Next Steps Director and Monday Night Meal Coordinator in order to ensure missional engagement with the community at large, the homeless shelter, critical needs, and marginalized people groups, through connections with and commitment to programs which are already in place as well as vision casting for future local mission and ministry opportunities.
- Recruit, train, equip, and oversee volunteer leaders in all areas of community and family ministries
- Provide opportunities for the community to grow in faith
- Attend and participate in worship services and church events
- Provide a safe, inclusive, Christian experience for community engagement
- Preach and provide worship leadership on a regular, as needed basis, as determined by the lead pastor and staff
- Oversee Safe Sanctuary program
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled
- Work together with other staff members to ensure a strong team environment
- Utilize staff communication tools, including email, calendar, and shared documents
- Any other duties assigned by the lead pastor
- Director of Community and Family Engagement reports directly to the senior pastor
- Participate in annual performance evaluation process with the senior pastor
This is a full-time, salaried position. As with all ministry positions, it is expected that “full-time” cannot be expressed in a number of hours per week. The general expectation is that the community engagement ministries director will work the number of hours necessary to perform all duties required. Many weeks, this may be 40 hours. During especially busy church seasons, it will likely be more, and the community engagement director should work closely with the senior pastor and other staff to ensure that proper attention is given to time management, balance, and self/soul care after these particularly demanding weeks.
Experience and training in children’s/youth ministry or similar background, experience and training in community development/social work or similar background, experience working with diverse populations (particularly socio-economically diverse), bachelor’s degree in related field strongly preferred, experience in building team leaders of all ages, strong organizational and administrative skills, experience with multimedia, technology, and other media, understanding and support of the United Methodist Church