The Associate Pastor of Student Ministries is responsible to provide overall leadership of & direction to the church’s ministry to middle & high school students. The Associate is also expected to interact with other age groups in the church as noted below.
About First Baptist Church, Harlan
FBC Harlan is a multi-generational, strongly evangelical & Bible-centered church located in a vibrant city of 5,200 residents (50 miles east of Omaha). On Sundays, we offer both a traditional & contemporary service, with total average attendance of just over 200. God has blessed the church with a long & fruitful ministry to children & youth in the Harlan community that we believe He wants to take to the next level.
This is a full-time position (40-50 hours per week). The Associate is expected to take a full day off each week. If the Associate has minor children, there may be a further understanding with regard to time off.
1. To develop & lead ministries or programs that, in dependence on the Holy Spirit, will equip and encourage middle & high school students, both churched & unchurched, to know Christ and make progress toward becoming a fully-devoted follower.
2. To enlist, train and supervise volunteers for all middle & high school ministries.
3. To approve curriculum used with all age groups through high school.
4. To personally shepherd middle & high school students through teaching, modeling the Christian life, and mentoring/counseling.
5. To supplement existing ministries/programs for middle and high school students with other events or activities, including social outings, service projects, concerts, mission trips, game nights, retreats, etc.
6. To seek to integrate middle & high school students into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational.
7. To occasionally perform other pastoral duties such as preaching, counseling & visitation.
1. Must satisfy the biblical qualifications for spiritual leadership as stated in I Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:5-9. Most notably, this includes:
a. Being “above reproach” as to character;
b. Being a skillful leader & shepherd of one’s own household;
c. Being able to teach & defend the core doctrines of the Christian faith; and
d. Being humble & gentle in one’s personal manner.
2. Preferring either a master’s degree from an evangelical seminary or a bachelor’s degree in theology, Bible or pastoral studies.
3. Preferring at least two years’ experience in ministering to middle and/or high school students either in a staff or volunteer capacity.
4. Must be able to relate to kids/youth and enjoy being with them.
5. Must be an effective communicator of biblical truth as it pertains to children/youth.
6. Must possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org.