YOUTH DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
FIRST REFORMED CHURCH
“Building God’s Kingdom One Life at a Time”
Position: Youth Director for Middle (7-8) and High School (9-12) Students
Time, Benefits, Mileage: Full time (40hrs./wk. min.) position, health insurance stipend, and mileage
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
Purpose: Leading youth ministry where students are reached with the Gospel, connected to community, equipped to grow on their own, empowered to serve and challenged to honor the Lord with their head, heart, and hands.
Commitment and belief in Jesus Christ:
ü Close personal relationship with Jesus Christ
ü Believe that Jesus is both Lord and Savior and died for our sins and rose again
ü Believe in the infallibility of the Bible
ü Believe the points of doctrine outlined in the Apostle’s Creed
ü A Bachelor of Arts degree in a ministry field.
ü A track record of documented successful leadership and team building experience working with middle and high school age youth.
ü Proficient in social media communications and digital technologies.
ü A desire to see young people know, love, serve, and grow in Jesus Christ
ü A documented high degree of honesty, integrity, and professionalism with the ability to garner the respect of others
ü A motivated self-starter
1. Teaching of the Gospel and the Word of God with application to life.
2. Creating an irresistible environment for students to belong where each one can grow in relationship with Jesus Christ, pass that passion on to their friends, and serve Jesus and people
3. Planning annual programming including a calendar of lesson topics, including trips, fundraising and fun events.
4. Overseeing weekly both middle and high school student gatherings.
5. Ensuring each student has 2 personal contacts with a youth leader in a year.
6. Encouraging students to use their gifts and talents in Sunday worship gatherings.
1. Facilitating Fall and Spring parent meetings
2. Sharing regular and timely communication about upcoming events, registrations, etc.
Youth Ministry Team, aka “Youth Sponsors”
1. Recruiting and training youth leaders
2. Empowering youth leaders opportunity to teach and disciple students
3. Facilitating program planning, including lessons, mission trips, fun events and fund raising
4. Planning and leading frequent and short alignment meetings with youth leaders
1. Preparing for and attend regularly scheduled staff meetings
2. Setting daily office hours
3. Communicating all calendar items with the staff and administrative assistant
4. Developing and execute a ministry area plan in connection to the mission and vision of First Reformed Church under the oversight of the Senior Pastor
Finances and Fundraisers
1. Preparing and submit a Student Ministry budget proposal for upcoming year by due date
2. Managing the Student Ministry budget
3. Facilitating the yearly, established and anticipated youth fundraisers
4. Keeping yearly records of events and fundraisers
Key Administrative Tasks
1. Gain approval for individual Youth Ministry Team members (Youth Sponsors) from Consistory
2. Clear each Youth Ministry Team member through a background check with Safety and Security
3. Acknowledge High School Graduates and present them bibles
4. Update and file yearly permission slips and consent forms for medical treatment
5. Submit meeting minutes to the Executive Team
6. Meet monthly with the Youth Board to review attendance, teaching points, prayer requests and facility needs
1. Networking with other church youth leaders in Sheldon
2. Participating in a minimum of one career growth activity annually to stay abreast of youth program trends.
3. Keeping in close communication with the Senior Pastor
4. As the position and employee develops, performing other activities as directed by the supervisor.
About First Reformed Church, Sheldon, Iowa
First Reformed Church (FRC) is building God’s Kingdom one life at a time. The congregation is located in the city of Sheldon, Iowa and averages 400 in attendance in worship.