Director of Youth Ministry
Director of Youth Ministry
First United Methodist Church, Shreveport, LA
500 Common St. Shreveport, LA 71101
FUMC Shreveport is a large downtown church in Northwest Louisiana, with a combined average worship attendance around 900 people. We desire to lift up Jesus Christ through faithful preaching and teaching of the Bible, honest expressions of community life and worship, and obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit and the authority of Scripture.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
– Evaluate existing youth ministry programs and structure for effectiveness in reaching and discipling youth in their walk with Christ. This includes looking at the current Sunday school program with its format and curriculum, the current Thursday night worship experience, small groups, and various scheduled retreats.
– Establish a comprehensive strategy for moving forward. This will include developing ways to connect students to Jesus and to one another, providing opportunities to grow and mature in Christian faith and understanding of biblical truth, teaching youth to serve as a way of life, and helping them see that they can lead in the places God has planted them.
– Develop a leadership team. This will include identifying, encouraging and equipping a core team of spiritual leaders who can partner in the promotion, shaping and leading towards the vision of reaching youth and helping them grow in Christ. The Director will evaluate and supervise both volunteer and paid youth ministry staff.
– Inspire and lead youth to genuine encounters with Jesus. Provide powerful and compelling experiences for youth to grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus. Engage youth with creativity, authentic conversations and healthy relationships. Be passionate in teaching youth biblical truth, and the importance and practice of prayer and spiritual disciplines that lead to a securely established identity in Christ.
– Be Involved in the life of the church community. Participate in worship services, staff meetings, spiritual life retreats, and planning meetings to effectively integrate the youth ministry as part of the overall ministry vision of FUMC Shreveport. Teach and lead in a manner consistent with a lifestyle of holiness and conviction that Jesus is LORD.
Character & Competence:
– Deeply committed follower of Jesus Christ, who lives ad models a Godly lifestyle.
– Solid Biblical foundation consistent with Wesleyan theology and practice.
– A passion to facilitate the spiritual growth of youth.
– Capable of effective, relevant communication with youth, families, volunteers and staff.
– Ability to oversee, choose, prepare and provide balanced age-appropriate and biblically based materials to foster conversation and spiritual growth in Christ.
– Able to provide initial counseling with youth and parents struggling with life issues. This includes understanding the limits of personal abilities, and knowing when to refer the student and family to qualified professionals.
– Strong belief in the value of community and team ministry.
– Able to lead leaders, and yet still be teachable themself.
– Sense of humor and creativity.
This is a full-time, salaried position.
We genuinely desire to be God’s family–laughing, loving and seeing His Kingdom revealed in all its glory and beauty. If this interests you, please send email inquiries and resumes to:
First United Methodist Church Shreveport