Modesto Covenant Church is a great place to do ministry! We are in a new season of ministry at our church having just finished a Sanctuary remodel with the addition of a new Front Room and Café. We have a solid group of volunteer youth leaders and very supportive parents. We just graduated a group of about 25 seniors from the High School Group, so the numbers are a little down but it’s also a great time for a new Student Ministries Pastor to come and lead our ministry!
Our ministries to students – junior high, high school, and college – are vital to our church. Through our core values of Mission, Christ, and Community we seek to lead students to become fully devoted, lifelong followers of Jesus Christ. These core values are reflected in the weekly meetings, events, discipleship groups, and relational time spent with students.
Currently our High School Youth Group averages 30 students each week and our Junior High Youth Group averages 15 students. There are also about 10-15 college students that meet together regularly during the school year, more during the summer. The primary focus of our Student Ministries Pastor is to lead High School ministry and oversee Junior High and College Ministry. The Student Ministries Pastor oversees our Student Ministries Associate, which is a full-time, two-year position that leads Junior High Ministry. Our College Ministry is led by volunteers.
Modesto Covenant Church is a 59-year old church with an average Sunday morning worship attendance of about 450. We have two identical, multigenerational worship services on Sunday morning at 8:30 and 11:00 AM with a Sunday School hour in between the worship services. The worship services are led each week by a band, vocal teams, and on occasion our worship also includes a praise choir, orchestra, and hand bells.
Modesto is located in the Central Valley of California with a population of 210,000. While having many attractions of a larger city, Modesto maintains a small town feel. Modesto is centrally located within a two-hour drive of the ocean (Santa Cruz, San Francisco) and mountains (including Yosemite National Park). Modesto is also in the heart of one of the nation’s greatest agricultural areas, with dairy products, nuts, fruits, wine grapes, poultry products, and other products.
Persons interested in being considered for this position:
1. Email a cover letter and resume to Mark Krieger, Lead Pastor of Modesto Covenant Church – firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Also, if possible, include a video or audio link of you teaching in your email.
The primary focus of our Student Ministries Pastor is to lead High School ministry and oversee Junior High and College Ministry. Our Student Ministries Pastor oversees our Student Ministries Associate, which is a full-time, two-year position that leads Junior High Ministry. College Ministry is led by volunteers.
1. To Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord,
2. To the Word of God as the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine and conduct,
3. To the church as the body of Christ, and
4. To the Evangelical Covenant Church, its fellowship and its affirmations
Credentials and Experience
1. Record of effective leadership in student ministry
2. Academic training, with the minimum of a bachelor’s degree
3. Biblical and theological training
4. Credentialed pastor within the Evangelical Covenant Church, or willing to pursue Covenant credentialing
Primary Responsibility – to disciple students through our core values:
Mission – Reaching out with the gospel
Christ – Growing as disciples of Christ
Community – Loving one another in community
This ministry will include:
Teaching and Preaching
- Teach on a consistent basis on Sunday mornings and midweek
- Preach in Sunday morning worship services occasionally
Recruiting, Training, and Discipling Leaders
- Recruit, train and disciple quality leaders to facilitate and lead ministry, including small groups
- Develop, train, and disciple student leaders
Initiate, plan, supervise and delegate responsibilities pertaining to all midweek meetings, events, and activities
- Plan outreach events and encourage students in relational evangelism
- Have a follow-up system in place for visitors
- Develop mission trips
- Assess and strengthen ministries
- Provide feedback for volunteer staff
- Provide annual reviews for Student Ministries Associate
- Work with the entire pastoral staff and be responsible to the Lead Pastor
- Direct and authorize all ministry expenses within the parameters
of the student ministries budget
Communicate with the following individuals and groups:
- Meet weekly with the Lead Pastor
- Provide monthly reports to the Board of Elders
- Foster communication with parents through information meetings, mailings, and electronic communication
- Be available to spend time relationally and counsel students
- Maintain healthy and growing relationships
- Cultivate a growing relationship with God
- Attend relevant pastor conference(s)
Other duties as assigned by Lead Pastor
About Modesto Covenant Church
Modesto Covenant Church is part of a denomination called the Evangelical Covenant Church. Modesto, California is located in the Central Valley of California, about an hour and a half east of San Francisco. Our church is a multi-generational church, with strong ministries to children and youth. Our mission statement is to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ through our core values of Mission, Christ, and Community. More information can be found at www.mcclife.net