JUNIOR HIGH DIRECTOR
OJAI PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
WHO WE ARE
Ojai Presbyterian Church is small town church with a large and vibrant youth ministry. The youth program draws from several churches in the valley without youth programs as well as many non-churched youth. The youth program is a major outreach of the church – approximately 2/3 of our students are non-churched or under-churched. The junior high youth group averages 30-50 students each week and maintains a directory of around 100 junior high students (about ¼ of all junior high students in our town). Our program is intentionally evangelistic, Christocentric, and relational. Our congregation has a deep value for the student ministries and is highly supportive of their efforts.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a passionate follower of Christ who wants to see others experience the same God who has transformed you. You are excited to work with 5th-8th graders and want to see their relationship with Christ grow regardless of where they are in their journey. You are an excellent communicator of the Gospel and can relate the Christian faith to students’ lives. You are energetic and creative in your approach to ministry. You are self-motivated but desire to work as a team player – both with the church leadership and among church volunteers. You are willing to take initiative and willing to try new things to reach students, even it means failing.
The Youth Program at Ojai Presbyterian Church seeks a Junior High Director to reach students and introduce them to faith in Jesus Christ. He/she will engage students in community, teach students about Christ, and challenge them to integrate their faith into their daily lives. The Director of Junior High Ministry will be directly responsible for all students from 5th-8th grades and will run all programs related to their faith development, from weekly meetings to Sunday school to camps. The Junior High Director will be supervised by the Associate Pastor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Junior High Ministry Duties
· Plan and execute junior high ministry weekly youth group on Wednesday nights
· Prepare and deliver engaging messages at weekly youth group that speak to junior high students and introduce them to faith in Christ
· Plan and execute junior high outreach, serving events/opportunities, camps, mission trips, etc.
· Provide care, counseling, and spiritual direction for junior high students, meeting with them regularly outside of nightly programs
· Actively seek to build relationships with junior high students both inside AND outside the program
5th & 6th Grade Duties
· Plan and execute monthly opportunities for 5th and 6th grade (Club 56) outreach events, with potential to grow this segment into a separate weekly program
· Teach Sunday School for 5th-8th grade students weekly during 9:15 service
Administrative and Other Duties
· Work with Pastoral staff and other program directors to create a smooth transition for students between grades and schools
· Supports and participates in events and activities as requested by the Associate Pastor
· Communicate effectively with students and parents through a variety of outlets (emails, phone, fliers, social media, etc.)
· Work with existing youth program volunteers and recruit new ones. Provide for their training and oversight.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· College Degree desired
· 1 year minimum ministry experience in internship level or higher
· Demonstrated experience in developing curriculum and programs for student ministry
· Proficiency in large-group communication (including Biblical teaching).
· Demonstrated understanding of trends in youth ministry.
· Demonstrated understanding of theological perspectives and knowledge of the Reformed tradition
· Must have a valid drivers license
· Have a committed and active faith in Jesus Christ
· Love junior high students – demonstrate ability to relate and engage with them
· Uphold and support mission, vision and values of OPC and the OPC youth program
· Demonstrate charisma, energy, and initiative
· Demonstrate proficient theological knowledge of the Gospel and ability to articulate it to students
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrate organizational skills and basic computer knowledge
· Be willing to acquire Class B drivers license and learn to drive a 44 passenger bus
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.