Objectives: To provide leadership, direction, training and support for the children’s ministry and the staff and the volunteers serving in this ministry at Saint Matthew. To grow, refine and implement programs that provide opportunities for Saint Matthew’s children and their friends to develop their spiritual lives.
Initially this will including the following programs:
1. SPARK Sunday (preschool through 5th grade: Sunday mornings 9:00-10:40am)
2. SPARK Wednesday (3rd through 5th grade: Wednesday evenings 5:00-7:00pm)
3. Vacation Bible School day camp (preschool through incoming 6th grade: One week in the summer (9:00am-12:00pm)
4. Discipleship and missional opportunities for kids and families.
5. Additional family programs such as summer night programs, parents’ night out, Mt. Hermon retreat, family game nights, bring a friend events, etc.
Qualifications: The person who fills this position must be committed to maintaining their own spiritual, personal growth and serve as a representative of Saint Matthew, maintaining a demeanor consistent with its vision and mission.
A successful Children’s Ministry Team Leader will have:
1. A fresh vision for ministry to children and families in a changing world
2. A passion for the faith development of children
3. A personal faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior
4. Demonstrated people management and communication skills
5. Strong organizational skills
6. Basic computer proficiency using Microsoft Office software
7. An ability to use Social Media to communicate information about the ministry and invite the surrounding community to participate in it
Education and Experience: A wide range of levels of education and experience will be considered, but preference will be given to:
1. Formal training in Children’s Ministry, Early Childhood Education, or a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education.
2. Equivalent experience or education in related fields that will transfer into the leadership of children’s ministry.
Supervisory Relationships: The Children’s Ministry Team Leader will be under the direct supervision of one of the members of the pastoral team. The CMTL may supervise an administrative assistant or interns, as budget allows.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Recruit, train and encourage the volunteer leaders of the children’s ministry, empowering them to take an active role in program leadership.
2. In consultation with the supervising pastor, review, select, and evaluate the curriculum used in the children’s ministry programs, ensuring that the curriculum is consistent with the theological perspective of the congregation.
3. Coordinate children’s ministry with the Teen Ministry Team Leader so that we have a consistent approach to developing and nurturing the faith of our children and youth.
4. Schedule year-round children’s ministry programs
5. Coordinate the use of the church facilities with the Operations Team Leader
6. Coordinate and administer, along with the pastoral staff, significant age-appropriate events for the children of Saint Matthew and their friends (First Communion, Bible dedication, etc.)
7. Find outside resources and develop partnerships for children’s ministry, parent education, family events
8. Plan and implement discipleship and missional opportunities for children (3rd-5th grade) in coordination with the teen ministry
9. Recruit, train, and supervise summer intern(s) for the children’s ministry and/or missional opportunities, as budget allows
10. Grow the children’s ministry through outreach to existing Saint Matthew families as well as the community
11. Evaluate the current programs and make recommendations for implementing new approaches to the ministry.
12. Set, track and achieve goals and objectives for the children’s ministry
13. Assist in the creation of and be responsible for management of a children’s ministry budget
Continuing Education: Continue education will be made available on an annual basis, with the expectation the Children’s Ministry Team Leader will be committed to learning and growing as a ministry leader.
Salary and Benefits: This is a non-exempt, part-time, hourly position, which includes sick and personal days, and vacation, but no health or retirement benefits, in accordance with the Personnel Policies of Saint Matthew as stated in the Employee Handbook. Starting salary with be commensurate with experience, and education.
About Saint Matthew Lutheran Church
As a community of faith and individual followers of Jesus Christ, we are a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Our Lutheran heritage is important as a theological (versus cultural) anchor to our past and guide to our future. At the same time, we want to be a missionary, neighborhood church that's making a world of difference. The Holy Spirit has led the ELCA to have full ecumenical partnerships with several other Christian denominations, and our pastors, staff, and leadership embrace the Christian traditions and expressions of these partnerships.
We seek to draw in young families, millennials, and people of our surrounding community while preserving our Lutheran heritage and those worship styles valued by the range of people attending Saint Matthew. Saint Matthew values its oldest members and always wants to include its youngest disciples in every dimension of our life and ministry together. These values compel us always to evaluate our worship, our community life, and how our proclamation and demonstration of the Christian faith affects our oldest and youngest members together.
We strive to reflect the diversity of the wider neighborhood in which we live and minister. Jesus removed every diving wall; the Good News of Jesus Christ insist that no Christian community be segregated by race, culture, socio-economic status, or any other humanly-devised barrier or division.