The Preteen Ministry Associate Director serves as the bridge from Children’s to Youth Ministry, providing intentional ministry for 5th & 6th grades while supporting the overall Middle School Ministry from 5th through 8th grade underneath the Middle School Youth Director.
- Work with the Youth & Children’s Ministries team to bridge students from elementary to middle school
- Build adult leadership teams who are committed to the care and the ongoing support of 5th & 6th grades, developing both large and small group strategies
- Work with Middle School Youth Director to create age-appropriate environments where the worship experience for preteen and middle school students is welcoming, inclusive, and growing
- Assist the vision of the Middle School Ministry by carrying out the responsibilities of weekly programming, monthly activities, retreats, mission trips, and major events
- Balance connection with students with tasks of administration & communication that is required to provide healthy preteen ministry
- Respond compassionately to students, families and adult leaders; intentionally seek to build relationships with others; provide care; pray with and for students; creatively meet students where they are; and remain accessible and approachable by students
- Resource parents as the church seeks to support students through phases of middle school
- Lead students and families as you teach discipleship within the context of the Bible
- Teach curriculum that addresses the phases of preteen students and complements the ongoing development of our church-wide Steps curriculum for families
- While not required, the ideal candidate would be responsible for leading worship on Sunday mornings and at monthly events.
- Model a Christ-filled life, maintaining appropriate boundaries with work and others, caring for self, and growing in faith and in profession
- Strong skills in teaching, leadership, communication, and up-front presence
- Training, education, or a degree in or related to youth ministry strongly preferred
- Musical ability and experience leading youth worship is preferred, but not required
The ideal candidate is a person passionate about the Christian faith, actively seek to grow in personal relationship with God, be committed to the mission and vision of St. Luke’s and serves out of a sense of call.
This is a part-time position, working around 20-25 hours a week. Some scheduling flexibility is required. If in a ministry program at university level, internship credits may be earned.
Submit resume to:
Middle School Youth Director
St. Luke’s UMC
100 W. 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260
To see PDF version of job description, click here.
To visit St. Luke’s Website, click here.
Visit our Middle School Ministry on Instagram, and to view social media posts related to the preteen ministries department, look for the hashtag #TheModge!
About St. Luke's UMC
St. Luke’s UMC is one of the largest United Methodist churches in the U.S. with a membership of nearly 6,000. We are an open community of Christians, gathering to seek, celebrate, live and share the love of God for all creation. We are called to make Disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world.